In this article we are going to see how to import your wallets from Jaxx to Edge Wallet and to maximize the security of your assets by using an Edge fuctionality called "Migrate Wallets".
Please note: import wallets does NOT mean that your crypto will be sent to Edge.
In fact, wallet import does NOT move your funds from Jaxx to Edge, but simply creates clone wallets in Edge, so your funds might still be visible in Jaxx Wallet even if this one doesn't work anymore.
If you already have Edge Wallet on your device, and you already have an account, skip the steps from 5 to 7.
WARNING: Users have reported a site pretending to be Jaxx. Do not enter your seed phrase into websites as they can be phishing attempts.
How to Import the Jaxx 12 words into Edge
- Locate your Jaxx backup. This should be a secure note or written down on paper. This will be a 12 word phrase.
- Download Edge Wallet from your App Store or Play Store. You can also find the links here https://edge.app/
- You will need to create a new account, by choosing a username and a password.
Remember: the account is client-side encrypted, so the wallets will remain non-custodial, just like in your Jaxx Liberty wallet!
Here you can find the account creation steps: https://edgeapp.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/7019038717339-How-do-I-create-an-account-
- You cannot directly import your Jaxx wallets during the account creation but you will need to follow the steps below. Selected wallets here will not be used for import, one wallet is required at account creation.
- Login into your brand new Edge account and tap the "+" below total balance.
- Select the wallets you wish to import from Jaxx and tap Next
- Note: make sure you select the wallets that show (no Segwit) for BTC, DGB, and LTC.
- For ZEC, please send your funds from Jaxx Liberty to ZEC Wallet, or another Zcash wallet of your choice, as these funds won’t properly appear inside of Edge.
- Tap Import Wallets
- Enter the 12 word mnemonic phrase you previously wrote down with 100% accuracy:
- do not add extra spaces or a space after the last word
- go in order. Follow the number of the seed, not the position you see on screen.
- do not to add additional characters or digits
See this example:
In Edge, I will enter:
fiction maze adjust believe tip behave glide bone inform borrow decide scorpion
Also you can check if your words are correct using this tool: https://resources.davidcoen.it/bip39wordlist/
- Tap Next
- Tap Done
The same wallets you used in Jaxx Liberty will be imported into Edge and have the same keys. For example, you will notice that your ETH address on Jaxx Liberty will have the same address when viewed in Edge. The wallets are in fact "clones", so they have the same addresses and balances, but it is possible that you will NOT be able to move the funds from Jaxx or even see the correct balance there, since it's deprecated.
These imported wallets will be together with the Edge wallets you selected during account creation (step 7.).
So, for instance, if you selected BTC and ETH during account creation and you imported the BTC and ETH wallets you had in Jaxx, you will notice you will have two BTC wallets and two ETH wallets.
How to Import Tokens (USDT, USDC, BAT...)
Tokens in Jaxx are ERC20, Ethereum tokens.
For this reason you need first to import your Jaxx Ethereum wallet into Edge, then you can activate the token wallets and see your funds.
Follow the steps for the Ethereum wallet import.
After that, follow these steps:
1. Open your imported Ethereum wallet
2. Tap the gear icon
3. Tap Add / Edit token
4. Search your token and activate it with the right flag
5. Do not tap anything else, just go back to Wallets and you will see your new token wallet with your funds inside.
If you do NOT see your token in Add / Edit token, tap Add Custom and enter the info you can find on https://etherscan.io/.
Important: Use "Migrate Wallets" feature to maximize the security of your funds!
*Important* After importing your Jaxx wallets into Edge, we highly suggest to do an additional step to maximize the security of your funds: use Migrate Wallets feature.
This procedure is optional and comes with on-chain fees, but it transfers your funds into brand new wallets, whose private keys are never been exported externally, so it's a good practice.
Please note that Edge does NOT make profit from crypto transactions: onchain fees are paid to the miners or stakers.
To use Migrate Wallets tap Menu > Settings > Migrate Wallets and then select all the wallets you previously imported from Jaxx.
Once you tap Next and confirm, your funds will be transferred to the new wallets and the wallets you imported from Jaxx will be named "old", so you can easily recognize them.
You can archive the empty old wallets if you prefer, or leave them in your account.
Q: I don't have my backup stored securely offline, is there anything I can do?
A: You can locate an install of Jaxx on your device that had your cryptocurrency wallets. Open the app and then tap menu (the three line icon located at the upper right) and then tap "Security." From there tap "View Backup Phrase" and confirm on the next screen. DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR STORE THIS PHRASE DIGITALLY. Write down this phrase offline and secure or enter directly into Edge.
Q: My phrase is failing for one wallet but the others work. Can I fix this?
A: Yes, you can import individual keys. Open Jaxx and tap menu (the three line menu located at the upper right) and then tap "Tools." From here tap "Display Private Keys" and then confirm on the next screen. DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR STORE THIS PHRASE DIGITALLY. Write down this phrase offline and secure or enter directly into Edge. Find the cryptocurrency that is failing and then enter that by tapping on it. Ethereum (ETH) keys are single keys and can be entered into Edge by tapping the "+" and then a normal import just like your seed phrase. Bitcoin (BTC) and Bitcoin like currencies like BCH, LTC, etc have many keys and will have to be "Swept" into Edge. You can copy the key and then enter Edge tap the 3 line menu at located at the upper right and then tap "Scan QR." Tap the "Enter" (pencil icon) and then paste or enter the key. NOTE: you will need to do this for each key or you can locate which key the funds are at by utilizing your XPUB.
If you have any questions or concerns in completing this process please contact our support team at email@example.com and we’ll be happy to help.