In this article, we are going to share how to safely import your wallets from Jaxx to Edge Wallet, and maximize the security of your assets afterwards by Migrating your wallets to new, secure private keys.
Please note: import wallets does NOT mean that your crypto will be sent to Edge.
In fact, wallet import does NOT move your funds from Jaxx to Edge, but simply creates clone wallets in Edge, so your funds might still be visible in Jaxx Wallet even if this one doesn't work anymore.
If you already have Edge Wallet on your device, and you already have an account, skip the steps from 5 to 7.
WARNING: Users have reported fake Jaxx apps. Do not enter your seed phrase into websites or any untrusted apps (These apps are posing as Jaxx). Please be careful when interacting with your seed phrase.
How to Import the Jaxx 12 words into Edge
- Locate your Jaxx backup. This should be a secure note or written down on paper. This will be a 12 word phrase.
- Download Edge Wallet from your App Store or Play Store. You can also find the links here: https://edge.app/get-started/
- You will need to create a new account, by choosing a username and a password.
Remember: the account is client-side encrypted, so the wallets will remain non-custodial, just like in your Jaxx Liberty wallet! Edge cannot help you recover lost login credentials, be sure to safely back up this information! For detailed account creation steps, you may view this guide: https://edgeapp.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/7019038717339-How-do-I-create-an-account
- The last step of creating an Edge account requires a minimum of one new wallet before your Edge account is finally created, and you can begin the import process. You can add or remove wallets in your Edge account at anytime later.
- Once you've logged into your new Edge account, Tap "Assets" located within the bottom navigation bar
- Tap the "+" below "Total Balance"
- Select the wallets you wish to import from Jaxx, and tap Next
- Note: make sure you select the wallets that show (no Segwit) for BTC, DGB, and LTC.
- For ZEC, please send your funds from Jaxx Liberty to ZEC Wallet, or another Zcash wallet of your choice, as these funds won’t properly appear inside of Edge.
- Tap Import Wallets
- Now, enter your 12 word mnemonic phrase with 100% accuracy. Be sure:
- that all words are lowercase and have one space between each word
- you do not have an extra space at the beginning or end
- to take your time, and review your input for accuracy (if needed, we have a tool where you can check spelling accuracy of any BIP39 key words: https://resources.davidcoen.it/bip39wordlist)
*For example, if my seed words look like this:
Then, inside of Edge, I will enter:fiction maze adjust believe tip behave glide bone inform borrow decide scorpion
- After reviewing your input, Tap Next
- Finally, Tap Done 🎉
You have now created access to the same wallets you used in Jaxx Liberty. No coins were moved while importing into Edge, and for example, you will notice that your ETH address on Jaxx Liberty will have the same address when viewed in Edge. The imported wallets are in fact "clones" so they have the same addresses and balances; so that means they also have the same 12 words..
This could be a security vulnerability, and we urge to read below on how to maximize the security of your crypto, using the 'Migrate Wallets' feature.
Importing ERC20 Tokens (USDT, USDC, LINK...)
Tokens in Jaxx are ERC-20, Ethereum tokens.
For this reason you need first to import your Jaxx Ethereum wallet into Edge, then you can activate each specific token wallet in order to Edge to see and display the value in your account.
After importing your Ethereum wallet,
Follow these steps:
1. Open your imported Ethereum wallet
2. Tap the gear icon
3. Tap Add / Edit token
4. Search your token and activate it with the right flag
5. Do not tap anything else, just go back to Wallets and you will see your new token wallet with your funds inside.
If you do NOT see your token in Add / Edit token, tap Add Custom and enter the info you can find on https://etherscan.io
Maximize Security with Migrate Wallets
*Important* After importing into Edge, we highly recommend this additional step to maximize the security of your assets by moving them to new & never before exposed private keys.
To do this:
Tap Menu (upper right) > Settings > Migrate Wallets, and select any imported wallets you wish to secure. This procedure sweeps all the funds from your imported key, into brand new wallets, where each wallet will has its own, unique private key that has never been exposed before in anyway.
Once you tap Next and confirm, your funds will be sent, on-chain, into newly created wallets within your Edge account. The wallets you imported from Jaxx will be named "old", so you can easily recognize them. Please note, this action will incur blockchain fees. Edge is free to use and these transaction fees are paid purely to the miners and stakers who secure each blockchain.
Q: I don't have my backup stored securely offline, is there anything I can do?
A: You can locate an install of Jaxx on your device that had your cryptocurrency wallets. Open the app and then tap menu (the three line icon located at the upper right) and then tap "Security." From there tap "View Backup Phrase" and confirm on the next screen. DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR STORE THIS PHRASE DIGITALLY. Write down this phrase offline and secure or enter directly into Edge.
Q: My phrase is failing for one wallet but the others work. Can I fix this?
A: Yes, you can import individual keys. Open Jaxx and tap menu (the three line menu located at the upper right) and then tap "Tools." From here tap "Display Private Keys" and then confirm on the next screen. DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR STORE THIS PHRASE DIGITALLY. Write down this phrase offline and secure or enter directly into Edge. Find the cryptocurrency that is failing and then enter that by tapping on it. Ethereum (ETH) keys are single keys and can be entered into Edge by tapping the "+" and then a normal import just like your seed phrase. Bitcoin (BTC) and Bitcoin like currencies like BCH, LTC, etc have many keys and will have to be "Swept" into Edge. You can copy the key and then enter Edge tap the 3 line menu at located at the upper right and then tap "Scan QR." Tap the "Enter" (pencil icon) and then paste or enter the key. NOTE: you will need to do this for each key or you can locate which key the funds are at by utilizing your XPUB.